Saturday 21 February 2009

Pigs Start to Explore Their New World

These new pigs have been with us two weeks now and it was only Wednesday that the snow had finally all melted. Last weekend I repaired the damage done by the cold weather to the copper watter pipes. Three splits. That's on top of the 14 odd that Dad and I fixed about a month ago. I've resolved to replace all the copper with alkathene sometime over the summer.

With the water lines back on and the ice gone I have stopped filling buckets from the kitchen each morning. The pigs now have their water trough in service I just had to show them where to find it and how to use it. I wonder if the electric fence is might be a bit too fierce because they've been rather shy about leaving the straw bedding in the stables. Throughout the last week I have fed them each morning (in the dark) a few meters further from the stables each day. This morning I found them in the depths of the woods, knee deep in mud, probably rooting around for frogs or something else delicious that you find in mud. Anyway, here are some pics I took with Sabine this afternoon.

Classic pig snouts, just like a child would draw. Nice muddy faces too.


Sabine did well taking that photo, she was having her wellies nibbled at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment